Monday, February 18, 2008

"I Did It"

I just got done reading my book last week for my book review, titled "If I Did it: Confessions of a Killer". For those of you who are unaware about the book, it hypothetically describes the night of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson, O.J. Simpson's former wife, and Ronald Goldman. It was clear to me that O.J. initially did this thing to make money because he was probably broke like he usually was. However, why he would make such a book thirteen years later admitting his guilt is beyond me. It seems to be the biggest publicity stunt that I have ever heard of.

Even though the making of the book is certainly a moral issue, the book is absolutely a good read for those who wonder about what happened that night. It may change people's minds or it may keep their decisions the same, but the details in the book are ones that noone has ever heard before. He describes blow by blow the days events leading up to the murders, including when Ronald Goldman attempted to use karate against O.J. trying to defend Nicole. So it is very interesting hearing everyones sides of the story, including the Goldman family and O.J. himself. O.J. uses a ghostwriter to write his story for him.

After reading the entire book, I can say that my decision has not changed at all for O.J. I think he was guily then and he is even more guilty now after hearing what he had to say. It made him look even more like a killer with the things he said in this book. After all, he did argue with his ghost writer because he wanted to edit a particular chapter that said he murdered the two. For those who would be interested in finding more out about the Trial of the Century, I recommend this book. Definitely an interesting read.

3 comments:

Zipporah said...

This book sounds very interesting. I remember the O.J. trail like it was yesterday. I was a senior in high school i think. Yes, a senior because it was the year of 97 and that's when I graduated from high school. Anyway, his trial dominated all the TV stations. The high school I went to was also a law academy. They were adamant about student in the law academy being familiar with real life trials. For the remaining of the school year, one teacher turned on the TV and we watched O.J. It sounds to me like O.J. is admitting to the murders especially if he is exposing details that weren't know to the public. He may have written this book for money but he also know that because he had a trial and was found not guilty, he can not be tried for this trial again in criminal court. There is a law called double jeopardy. This basically means that if a person is placed on trial for a crime and they are found guilty, not guilty or whatever, they can not be placed on trial again for this same murder. Very interesting. He can admit to killing his wife and her lover and there isn't anything anyone can do about it on the criminal side of the law. Now as for the civil law, well, that a totally different topic. (Yes, I love the law. Hopefully one day I can become a lawyer)

Lyssa said...

I think that is absolutly crazy that after he was found not guilty he can basically admitt to killing them and not have a thing happen. I don't even think I want to give OJ the time of day by reading this book. I am curious if the ghost writer also ghost wrote (?) for the other people in the book, or is at all just OJ? I'm sure the families, much like the rest of the country, would just like OJ and this whole ordeal out of the news.

Edward G Pettit said...

I love OJ stories in the news. We need more OJ.